Five years ago, in 2017, the infamous Fyre Festival was scheduled to go off in Great Exuma in the Bahamas. Co-founded by con artist, Billy McFarland, and rapper Ja Rule, the festival was intended to launch an app for Fyre Media. They used slick marketing in their promotional videos to appeal to millennials, while using social media influencers and beautiful models to sell the dream. It was supposed to be this massive event that would disrupt the industry.
Then everything fell apart. Fyre Festival was “the greatest event that never was.” Billy McFarland went to prison for fraud. And now the question remains whether he was truly trying to con people—or if he really intended to pull off the festival, but just couldn’t make it work.
In today’s episode, BT and I discuss:
- Billy McFarland, his intentions; his intelligent, yet manipulative nature, and how he was a sociopathic narcissist
- How he got loans based on fake financials, while reinventing ways to make money to just keep creditors at bay and to be able to get the festival off the ground
- My take on what Billy was doing, and how he got so deep into it that he couldn’t call it off even if he tried
- Why our intention is everything—and there was a way to actually make the festival work with what they wanted, but they had no real plan
- My experience with being conned when I was really young—and how they get you to believe something that’s 100% false
- Human psychology, “fake-it-till-you make-it” mentality and how the millennial generation got duped into—and shamed for—going to this festival-that-never-was
I’m not convinced either way if Billy was intentionally trying to con people, or whether he intended to see the festival through. However, it’s a fascinating discussion on our intention, why we need a plan for success, and our ability to follow through on our plan.
I highly recommend you check out both the Netflix and Hulu documentaries on the Fyre Festival.
Links & Resources
The Successful Mind Podcast on YouTube – Episode 501 Full Throttle Thursday – After Burn: Fyre Festival & The Greatest Party That Never Was
Looking to take your mindset to the next level? Be sure to stop over on The Successful Mind Podcast Channel on YouTube for EXCLUSIVE content that you won’t find anywhere in your audio podcast feed. You can now binge the entire series where David takes you through high level teachings around Raymond Holliwell’s classic book, Working With the Law. If you’re ready to take the next step in exploring the Universal Laws and mindset it requires to be a huge success you’ll want to check this series out. Remember, these are ONLY available on our YouTube channel. Go to youtube.com/TheSuccessfulMindPodcast, be sure to subscribe, and ring the bell so you won’t miss any of these EXCLUSIVE drops as they become available. See you there!
Get more Full Throttle Thursday in your life by looking back at these past bangers from The Successful Mind Podcast
Episode 438 – Epic Migrations & Bracing for the Armadillo Apocalypse
Episode 426 – You Can Always Get What You Want: The Rolling Stones & The Power of Music
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts? It takes less than a minute and really makes a difference in helping us spread the “Successful Mind” message to those who need it most.
Discover David’s book: The Millions Within: How to Manifest Exactly What You want and Have an EPIC Life
Get SOCIAL with David! You can find him on the following platforms:
Miss anything? Don’t forget to subscribe to the show and stay on top of your own successful mindset. You can find us wherever you listen to podcasts: