In today’s episode I’ve got an incredible interview with Chris & Nik Nikic. Chris is the first person with Down syndrome to finish an Ironman triathlon. He’s the author of 1% Better: Reaching My Full Potential and How You Can Too. He’s like the Roger Bannister of Down syndrome—after Bannister broke the four-minute mile, so many other people were able to do it too. As a public speaker, Chris is inspiring people to re-think what’s possible.
His father, Nik, is a business coach and entrepreneur. Nik says from the moment Chris was born, doctors told him and his wife they’d have no independence—they’d have to take care of their son for the rest of his (and their) life. Believing this idea for 18 years was one of their biggest regrets. They realized they could either let their son sit on a couch for the rest of his life—or they could push him to see what he was capable of doing. They chose to prepare Chris for independence, while giving him a sense of purpose.
In this episode we discuss:
- How measuring Chris’s progress changed Nik’s perception of what was possible
- How Chris used his “1% better” system to build up to doing 400 pushups—by adopting the philosophy of “one more”
- The “1% better” concept builds on itself, like compound interest, and you can use it to improve each day
- One of the biggest problems we have in the world right now is that we’re not raising people to have a sense of purpose
- Why you must choose between the pain of pursuing your dream—or the dream itself (which one is going to win?)
- How Chris set a goal to do an Ironman and completed it even during the middle of the pandemic
Chris is proof that anyone can train their mind and body to do things that go beyond what others thought was possible. Nik believes his son can achieve anything he sets his mind to. And if Chris can do it—so can you.
Links & Resources
The Successful Mind Podcast on YouTube – Episode 413 – Movers & Shakers w/ Chris & Nik Nikic
Pledge to be 1% Better and hit Chris up on Instagram!
More inspiring episodes that feature amazing success stories from The Successful Mind Podcast:
Episode 346 – Movers & Shakers: Reese Scott – Women’s World of Boxing
Episode 054 – Movers & Shakers: Todd Herman – The Alter Ego Effect
Episode 282 – Movers & Shakers: Dr. Stephanie Estima – Better! Podcast
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts? It takes less than a minute and really makes a difference in helping us spread the “Successful Mind” message to those who need it most.
Discover David’s book: The Millions Within: How to Manifest Exactly What You want and Have an EPIC Life
Get SOCIAL with David! You can find him on the following platforms:
Miss anything? Don’t forget to subscribe to the show and stay on top of your own successful mindset. You can find us wherever you listen to podcasts: