Many business owners fail to give themselves enough credit for their accomplishments. Instead, their minds are preoccupied with the myriad of chores that remain on their to-do list. Sometimes, they obsess excessively on their shortcomings and mistakes.
There’s an old method for self-improvement that involves drawing a timeline of your life and reevaluating the choices you’ve made. It’s a fantastic way to evaluate your progress.
In a famous Stanford commencement address, Steve Jobs observed, “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards.” You have no idea how many pieces of the puzzle fit together to make you the success that you are now.
In this episode we discuss:
- What happened when I dropped out of high school in 1984, including how my family went bankrupt, lost our home, and had our car repossessed (all without me assuming any blame for any of it)
- When I decided to make positive changes for the first time in 1993, and how I started taking full responsibility for everything in my life.
- The difference between making decisions based on your current situation and those based on what you want to happen in the future
- How a person’s low sense of self-worth is at the heart of many of their problems and how, unknowingly, they bring those problems on themselves
- An exercise for bringing gratitude and appreciation into your life
- The mulitple crossroads we’ve experienced in our professional lives and how we decided whether or not to take advantage of an opportunity
- The power of saying “yes” to push yourself beyond your limits and do something you never thought you could
When did you first make a decision that changed your life, whether for the better or for the worse? When did you decide to take action to change those results?
It’s important to “connect the dots” and see how far we’ve come and how much we’ve learned.
Links & Additional Resources
Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Address
Do you feel like you should be growing faster right now but can’t see how? If you join us for our upcoming Business Growth Accelerator, you’ll know exactly what’s keeping you stuck and spinning your wheels. You’ll leave with the clarity and confidence you need to make important decisions EVERY DAY, keep your business stable and grow it, even if the economy keeps getting worse. No more second-guessing, no more hemming and hawing, just results. Trust us, by the end of this program, you’ll know exactly what, why, and how to do what needs to be done in your business for it to grow.
Are you curious about what kind of leader you are? Click on the link below to find out what kind of leadership style works best for you and how you can make the most of your skills to advance in business.
If you like the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts? It takes less than a minute and really makes a difference in helping us spread the Successful Mind message to those who need it most.
Check out David’s book: The Millions Within: How to Manifest Exactly What You want and Have an EPIC Life
Life is Now wants you to get SOCIAL! You can find us on the following platforms:
Did you miss anything? Don’t forget to subscribe to the show to keep up with your own successful mindset. We’re available wherever you listen to podcasts: